PASTORS and CHANGES
During the pastorate of Fr. Cushing (1864-95), the bell tower was added and during Fr. Riley’s tenure (1905-1918), the rectory was expanded. In 1967, Rev. Joseph Lyon built the Education building and in 1975, Rev. Chester Bowling had a new rectory built. In 1983, one of the most beloved of our pastors arrived, Fr. John Lesousky. For ten years, Fr. John endeared himself to many parishioners. Although now retired and living in Louisville, parishioners frequently visit with Fr. John. In1998, at the request of Archbishop Kelly, Fr. Joe Batcheldor addressed the need for space created by the incoming of Catholics from outside of Shelby County, both Americans and Hispanic immigrants. Construction of a new church, with room for 400 and an expansive gathering space or vestibule, was begun, and the church was consecrated by Archbishop Kelly on February 6, 2000. A year before, in 1999, the Cotter Center property across Main Street (presently the parish office) was acquired and as a result of generosity of time and talent initially served as classrooms for CCD, which lasted for 2 years. Then it was remodeled to provide adequate space for parish offices, formerly housed in the parish rectory. Fr. Bill Bowling arrived at the Church of the Annunciation in 1999, serving first as an associate with Fr. Batcheldor and then becoming pastor the following year. While serving as Pastor of Church of Annunciation and St. John, Archbishop Kelly appointed him to also serve first as Director of Hispanic Ministry for a few years and then Vocations Director of the Archdiocese. With all these added responsibilities, Fr. Bill managed to shepherd the parishes meeting spiritual and social needs as well as making plans for the future.